Monday, April 16, 2012

I Believe...


I believe that everyone needs a teacher to believe in them.  I always struggled in school, but in 7th grade one teacher changed everything.  I struggle for many reasons, but the main reason is because I have a learning disability.  A learning disability is a disorder in one or more of the basic psychological processes involved in understanding or in using language, spoken or written, that may manifest itself in an imperfect ability to listen, think, speak, read, write, spell, or to do math.  There is no cure for a learning disability and it is life-long.  Children with learning disabilities can be high achievers and become successful with the right help.
 In 7th grade, I was put into a resource room.  Resource room is where students with learning disabilities go to get extra help in any subject needed.  My Resource Room teacher, Mrs. Gleason, believed everyone could do well in school.  Without having her as my teacher, I would not be where I am today.  I always dreaded reading and would avoid it at all costs.  Mrs. Gleason made reading fun and got me really into it.  I now read all the time, even if it is not for school!  She also helped me to do well in school.  I went from grades in the 60’s all the way to grades in the 80’s and 90’s in a few months of being in her class!  She taught me how to study effectively to do well on tests.  Most people don’t take the time to teach students how to study effectively.  By her teaching me to study effectively, I was able to bring my grades up rapidly.  It felt great that I was finally doing well in school!  My teacher believed in me and eventually I believed I could pass and succeed!  She made it fun. If you got above a certain grade you got a sticker on the sticker board and if you get a 100 you get 2 stickers.  Once you got so many stickers, you got a prize and at the end whoever got the most got a special prize. I t gave me more incentive to do well in school.  Without having Mrs. Gleason as a teacher, I may have never been able to take AP and College courses in high school.  Having her as a teacher made it possible for me to go to college.
People sometimes think that if you have a disability you can’t achieve great things and they are wrong.  Many famous people like Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Walt Disney, and Magic Johnson all had disabilities and look how famous they are.  Without Thomas Edison, we may have never found the light bulb.  Walt Disney had many great achievements like the first colored cartoon, the first full-length animated musical film and his dream of Disneyland Park.  Without either of them, where would we be?  I believe that everyone needs someone to believe in them, even if it’s just their teacher.  I want to make a difference in the lives of children someday soon and I know I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment